This Where Are the Plastics Near Me? (Field Trip) activity also includes:
With a piece of plastic here and a piece of plastic there, here a piece, there a piece, everywhere a piece. Teams go on a field trip in order to document the locations and kinds of plastic trash in an area near them. The eighth installment of a unit with nine parts, has groups document the plastics found according to their type, age, and location. The teams collect enough data to use in the next activity of creating a Google Earth layer.
- Collect the trash along with documenting it
- Spend some time with the class in converting longitude and latitude coordinates into decimal degrees
- Groups need GPS devices and digital cameras
- Choose individuals to go on the field trip that will be cautious
- Contains example field notes that show the detail needed
- The activity instructions provide details of what the teacher should accomplish before taking the class on the field trip