A reporter for the Chicago Daily News, based in Germany in 1933, is documenting Hitler's rise to power. As his stories grow more critical of the regime, he faces increasing pressure to stop. Eventually, even the American government recommends he leaves Germany for his own safety. What would today's kids do: Stay and report, or flee? Young scholars consider the real-life case study using a video and discussion prompt.
- Offer the video and discussion as a warm-up activity for a lesson on Hitler's rise to power or the ethics of journalism
- Ask pupils to write essays explaining what they would do in the dilemma they see in the video
- Resource is part of the War in Europe series
- Query is engaging and relates the historical situation to issues facing reporters in modern times
- Video is rich with primary source photographs