This What Would You Do? Scenario: Civilians as Human Shields video also includes:
What would you do when faced with an impossible choice? A video gives background knowledge for the battle of Okinawa when the Japanese military used civilians a shields to slow the Americans advance. It gives pupils an opportunity to analyze why American soldiers made the decision to fire upon Japanese civilians.
- Use the video to prompt a discussion on what learners would do in the same situation
- Pair with a lesson on war crimes and other atrocities that occurred during WWII
- The topic of war and violence may not be appropriate for all ages
- Archival footage adds a visual element for scholars
- Explains some of the Japanese extreme military tactics during WWII