This What "Draw-A-Scientist" Reveals about Gender Stereotypes lesson plan also includes:
What do you picture when you hear the word scientist? Challenge scholars to put pencil to paper, draw a scientist, and then reflect on the patterns they observe. Learners read an article about a female scientist and write a story about a scientist that dismisses gender stereotypes.
- Invite a female scientist to speak to the class about her experience in the profession
- Requires drawing paper and supplies, and copies of the article
- The Newsela article requires an account to gain access
- Offers additional lesson plans and resources to extend the learning experience
- Provides ample discussion time to boost speaking and listening skills