Observing plant succession doesn't have to be a decade long process. A hands-on lesson has groups study succession over a designated space. Learners use their observation skills to record differences in plant and soil characteristics in a space that leads to or from a water source. They record their observations and connect them to the succession and limiting factors.
- Demonstrate the expected procedure and allow students to practice prior to collecting data
- Requires access to a vegetated space that has a wet area
- Emphasize the importance of proper clothing in the days leading up to the activity
- Offers options for extending the activity
- Provides detailed instructions of the procedure