This Water Runoff activity & project also includes:
Teachers demonstrate water runoff on a hill and its effect on soil erosion. Pupils observe as the instructor changes the steepness of the hill and see whether vegetation covers the soil. Learners then use their observations to make conclusions on how the steepness and the amount of vegetation makes a difference in the amount of soil erosion.
- Include terraces on the hill to observe the effects land forms have on runoff
- Use different types of soil to cover this hill
- Uses water, which may be messy and require plastic to protect classroom furniture
- Provides suggestions for extensions on changing other variables in the demonstration
- Includes discussion questions to help learners process what they see