How do rockets fly? Teams design, build, and launch a rocket made from a two-liter bottle to explore forces on a rocket such as Newton's Laws of Motion. During the design phase, young engineers draw a diagram of their rocket and include a list of materials needed. After the launch, teams complete a reflection sheet on the performance of their rocket.
- Use an altitude tracker for older learners to determine the height of the rocket
- Have teams develop a presentation on how their rocket compared to other rockets, both in peformance and design
- If not using a kit or building a launch pad, be careful that rockets are stable on the ground so they launch upward
- The resource contains seven pages of reading material for background information
- Contains an optional challenge of carrying a payload on their rocket
- The plans either require knowledge of how to build a water rocket, or how to use a kit or other resource in order to build the rockets