This Water Filtration Challenge activity & project also includes:
Can the class think like the scientists on the International Space Station? Engineers design, test, collect data, and improve a water filtration device similar to a system found on the ISS. Participants use pH strips, optional conductivity testers, and qualitative observational skills to collect data and improve their filters.
- Have investigators build and check conductivity testers prior to the activity as a way to introduce the water quality challenge
- Assign roles to team members to organize workflow and facilitate collaboration
- Uses a variety of materials for filter construction to gather ahead of time
- Caution students to avoid consuming any water produced during the activity
- NGSS-aligned activity also incorporates the engineering design process
- Includes extension ideas to continue the learning