Sensory details can enhance the reading experience, especially during a guided imagery reading. Young readers close their eyes and listen to a passage from Sharon Creech's Walk Two Moons before responding to discussion questions and writing prompts.
- Read the selection during a focus of descriptive writing and sensory details
- Have learners craft their own guided imagery passages, which they can then read to peers in a quiet atmosphere
- Based on chapter 20 from the novel
- One of the writing prompts encourages pupils to write about an object they'd like to kiss, which may garner some inappropriate responses
- Incorporates sensory details into descriptive writing