This Virus Hunters: Epidemiology of Nipah Virus activity & project also includes:
Who actually goes looking for a virus? Expose your class to the high-stakes life of an epidemiologist on the trail of the Nipah virus. Pupils engage in a short video, then examine how scientists predict, model, and find the source of viruses that threaten public health.
- Use the lesson to highlight careers in science or as an epidemiology case study
- Have individuals create pictograms or models that illustrate the transmission of Nipah virus
- Learners need to be familiar with DNA and RNA sequences, as well as immunology terms and enzyme activity
- Consider assigning one of the five parts as homework if you are pressed for time
- Real data makes the lesson much more intriguing
- The materials are easy to prepare, and the lesson is well-organized