This UV, Mutations, and DNA Repair lesson plan also includes:
How effective are cells at repairing UV damage? An inquiry-based lesson has learners experiment with organism by exposing them to various levels of UV light and then examining their DNA after a period of time. Pupils test different levels of light as well as different levels of protection. They look for both damage and evidence of repair as they examine their organisms.
- Begin with a discussion on the signs, symptoms, and prognosis of skin cancer
- Requires time to prepare the necessary materials
- Expects a solid understanding of the structure and function of DNA
- Provides links to obtain required materials
- Includes reference to additional activities supporting the lesson