This Using Quotes and Comparing and Contrasting Structure: The Invention of Basketball lesson plan also includes:
Learners complete the third lesson in a row where they determine the gist of text and use quotes as textual evidence. They use details from Dr. James Naismith, Inventor of Basketball to explain how the development of basketball met societal needs, and complete a note catcher and a Venn diagram to compare to articles in previous lessons.
- Prior to beginning lesson, discuss opinions on the importance of sports in society
- Part nine of 10 in Grade 5 ELA Module 2B, Unit 1
- Order of lessons matters
- Requires returning mid-unit assessments with feedback
- Includes complete organizers for teacher reference
- Offers an outline with time suggestions for each activity