This Unit 2: DNA Analysis unit plan also includes:
Ever wonder how they solve those mysterious murders in TV crime dramas? The second of four units in a Biotechnology series introduces scholars to the many methods of DNA analysis. Pupils create and run their own gel electrophoresis plates and use their skills to determine the perpetrator in a mock investigation.
- Show a video about the first murder case solved using DNA while learners wait for their electrophoresis plates to run
- Have partners research one of the notable scientists responsible for advances in genetics and present their information to the class
- Order the lab supplies and request The Case of the Crown Jewels curricula guide well in advance of beginning the unit
- Consider augmenting the student notes with more detail based upon the needs of your class
- Engaging activities provide real-life experience in working with DNA
- The teacher's guide is thoughtfully organized to make planning easy