This Understanding the Biology of Cancer lesson plan also includes:
After initial exposure to a carcinogen, a cancer diagnosis often takes more than a decade due to the slow buildup of mutated cells in the body. Scholars learn about the biology of cancer with a worksheet and discussion questions. They work with a partner and then join the entire class to benefit from the ideas of everyone.
- Explain that cell division and cell proliferation mean the same thing prior to using the lesson
- Relies on prior knowledge of mitosis, genetics, transcription, and translation
- Be aware of any potential sensitivities due to a cancer diagnosis
- Includes many extension ideas
- Provides high-quality references