How hard can it be to measure out two pounds? A short performance task introduces a situation where a balance scale is broken. It gives a method for measuring out two pounds and asks learners to evaluate the procedure. They must prove mathematically, using proportionality and rational functions, whether the method is valid.
- Apply the resource as a formative assessment
- Pupils should be familiar with situations involving rational functions
- Experience with proportionality is necessary
- Includes an answer key with several alternative approaches
- Provides a worksheet for the lesson