This The World the War Made lesson plan also includes:
The United States Civil War forced Northern and Southern societies, as well as the people who made up those societies, to reconstruct their vision of themselves and their identities. A series of video-based web lessons look at the great changes that occurred in years after the Civil War. In the first lesson in the series, young historians watch an introductory video and read and analyze primary source documents to gain an understanding of these fundamental changes.
- Due to the fast pace of the video, pause it frequently to permit viewers to read the statements on the screen
- The first of seven video-based lessons in a unit on the Reconstruction Era
- Class members should be familiar with the Think, Pair, Share strategy
- Requires access to computers with internet
- A Think, Pair, Share activity asks class members to make a personal connection to the subject by considering choices and opportunities that have shaped their lives