This The Rise and Fall of the Berlin Wall video also includes:
Do fences make good neighbors? Do walls offer a solution to political and social problems? A video that traces the building of and destruction of the wall that divided the West and East German sections of Berlin offers viewers a chance to reflect on these questions.
- Flip the lesson asking pupils to view the video, complete the comprehension check, and research the provided links before returning for a whole class discussion
- Have groups research other walls built as protections or restraints (e.g. Hadrain's Wall, the Maginot Line, the Great Wall of China, etc.)
- Show the video of President Ronald Reagan's June 12, 1987 "Tear Down This Wall" speech
- The resource includes the video, a comprehension check, links to related resources, and a discussion question
- The video underscores the economic and political factors that lead to the construction of the wall