Reluctance to accept new technology is not a unique attribute to the 21st century. An informative video from Crash Course World History covers the rollout of the transcontinental railroad during the Industrial Revolution, and whether or not change really means progress.
- Consider the query presented around 8:20; have class members write a short argument essay about whether or not forward progress is really improvement, using specific examples from their lives
- Have learners watch the video on their own before returning to class for a discussion on railroads
- Green notes that he is busy because of a movie that's about to start filming; note to learners that he is the author of Fault in Our Stars, which was adapted into a film in 2014 and may be a favorite of theirs
- Comment section is open to the public
- Connects well to a lesson on the Industrialization or a discussion on technological progress
- Narration is entertaining and engaging for young viewers