This The Orphan of Ellis Island activity & project also includes:
Everyone comes from somewhere. An interdisciplinary lesson on Elvira Woodruff's The Orphan of Ellis Island includes discussion starter and writing prompts for the novel, as well as a graphic organizer to help learners begin their own family tree.
41 Views 31 Downloads CCSS: Adaptable
- Use discussion starters as a way to check for understanding during the novel unit
- For older students, bring in articles about current immigration debates to connect to the story
- Though the novel focuses on an orphaned child and adoptive families, the family tree only provides spaces for biological relatives
- Does not include spaces for siblings in the graphic organizer
- Provides students with an opportunity to talk to their families about extended family members