What lies beyond our solar system? Share an interesting video describing the Oort Cloud with astronomy scholars to find out! The narrator explains that this far-flung region, along with the scattered disk and Kuiper belt, is the birthplace of the comets we see from Earth. The resource includes a discussion of Pluto, whose status as a planet was changed to Kuiper Belt object through the collaboration of many astronomers.
- Have the class create a diagram that illustrates the inner planets, outer planets, Kuiper belt, scattered disk, and Oort Cloud to prevent confusion of these regions
- Use the video to introduce learners to what lies just beyond our solar system
- Some prior knowledge of the outer planets and the characteristics of comets is helpful for viewing the resource
- The content works for both middle and high school learners
- Careful scripting supplies plenty of information to combat common misconceptions about what lies beyond our solar system