This The Molecular Evolution of Gene Birth and Death activity & project also includes:
More than 90 percent of humans' DNA doesn't code for anything! Scholars watch a presentation as they answer questions relating to gene mutations. They read details, watch videos, and view animations supporting the concepts. The questions require understanding how genes are both gained and lost through time.
- Review each type of possible mutation prior to starting the lesson
- Have scholars write three things they learned, two things they already knew, and one thing they still want to know at the end of the lesson
- Relies on prior knowledge of genes, chromosomes, protein structure, meiosis, cell cycle, transcription, translation, gene regulation, natural selection, and evolution
- Encourages higher level thinking skills
- Provides teacher tips for implementing the lesson in multiple ways