This The Mathematics Behind a Structured Savings Plan lesson plan also includes:
Make your money work for you. Future economists learn how to apply sigma notation and how to calculate the sum of a finite geometric series. The skill is essential in determining the future value of a structured savings plan with recurring payments.
- Team up with a business teacher for the lesson
- Have the class research different banking options in the area
- Teacher guide suggests splitting the lesson over two days
- Introduces adolescents to important financial instruments, such as annuities
- Includes problem set with both purely mathematical problems (practice using sigma notation) and real-world financial problems