This The Making of Fake News: A Case Study lesson plan also includes:
- The Making of Fake News: A Case Study (.html)
- The Making of Fake News: A Case Study (.docx)
- Worksheet - The Making of Fake News (.pdf)
- Worksheet - The Making of Fake News (.docx)
- We Tracked Down a Fake-News Creator in the Suburbs. Here’s What We Learned (.html)
- Join to access all included materials
"Fake News" (stories that are entirely fabricated/fictional) is the subject of a case study of the search for Jestin Coler, the creator of some of the most famous fake news stories. After reading NPR's investigative report, scholars discuss what they see as the dangers of fake news. A must-see resource.
- Have groups investigate other stories printed in sources like "The Onion"
- Preview the interview excerpts that follow the news story; they "include content that may not be acceptable for some students"
- Pupils require devices with internet
- Copies of the "Making of Fake News" worksheet are also required
- Includes sept-by-step directions, discussion questions, and a link to the NPR story