This The Lowdown — Examining California's Prison System: Real-World Ratio activity also includes:
Free yourself from the shackles of traditional math lessons. Young mathematicians investigate race, gender, and age differences in California's prison system. They use provided graphics to compare the prison population with the state's population. The interesting resource is part of The Lowdown: Real-World Math series.
- Have learners research data on their own state or locality
- Pupils must be able to interpret bar graphs and circle graphs
- Experience with percents is necessary
- Provides handouts for the activity
- Color coding in graphs helps with interpretation