This The Line and the Ellipse assessment also includes:
What do a line and an ellipse have in common? Maybe zero, one, or two points! Learners consider the equation of an ellipse and a line to determine if their graphs have any shared points. They then write a system of equations, including both an ellipse and line, that have either two or no points in common.
- Repeat the task with the equation of a hyperbola and a line
- Use graphing calculators or similar online technology to check solutions graphically
- Expects a solid understanding of graphing ellipses
- Presents an open-ended question with multiple solution methods
- Provides the resources in an editable format