Was he a ruthless leader and failed military commander? Or a political martyr and king? Historians continue to debate the legacy of Russian Tsar Nicholas II, who was the last of the Romanov line to rule Russia. An interesting video traces the tsar's abdication and the following revolution that shaped not only the Soviet Union, but also the outcomes of World War I.
- Ask the class to evaluate Tsar Nicholas II's legacy using the video biography and a class four-corners or continuum debate
- Photo of assassinated political leader may make this video unsuitable for some
- Serves as one part of the Who Did What in World War I? video biography series
- Assumes an understanding the causes of World War I and knowledge of its outcomes
- Situates Tsar Nicholas II in the larger context of the Russian Revolution and World War I
- Intriguing photographs and engaging narrator keep the class interested