This The Language of Film instructional video also includes:
New ventures and new technologies require new ways of referring to things. In stepped Edwin S. Porter, whose films Life of an American Fireman and The Great Train Robbery used parallel action and cross-cutting to develop his narratives. Find out more about why Porter is called the father of narrative film grammar with an explanatory video on film history.
- The narrator's pace may overwhelm some viewers; display the captions and pause the video frequently to answer questions and clarify understanding
- Viewers should be familiar with the rapid pace of the narrators of Crash Course and with their asides and commentaries
- The course episodes are designed to be viewed in order
- This video is hosted on YouTube
- Clips from Porter's films are used to illustrate the techniques
- The episode ends with a recap of the major points made