Where does it happen? When did it happen? These are two questions that play a key role in understanding the setting of a story. The fourth and final video in a Language Arts playlist uses a song to explain how the setting connects to other elements of a story, such as tone and theme.
- Read a short story, and then imagine it in a different setting; discuss how the change would affect the story
- Decide on a central setting as a class, write stories with that setting, and then compare and contrast them
- Turn off the lights, so viewers can see the lighter text on some of the darker backgrounds
- Lyrics appear on the screen as the video plays
- Incorporates examples from stories such as The Odyssey
- Song moves slowly in parts and may cause learners to tune out