This The Great Elephant Census Modeling Activity activity & project also includes:
They say elephants never forget—and your class won't forget an insightful modeling activity either! Junior zoologists take part in a mock elephant census using the sample count and total count methods. The included materials provide support for calculations as well as important elephant population facts.
- Show the related short video, then begin the modeling activity
- Incorporate the second extension activity to give the class more insight into the challenges that researchers face when counting animals
- Store the lentils used in the activity in a sheet protector to keep them from getting lost between classes; you will need about 1/2 a teaspoon per group
- Limit group sizes to two or three per group
- Hands-on portion of the lesson is easy to set up
- Teacher's guide contains printables, extensions, and planning tips