This The Great Clearcut Controversy unit plan also includes:
- Lesson 1: How Do Bird Communities Change After Clearcut?
- Lesson 2: Do I Use Clearcuts? Why?
- Lesson 3: Big Management Decisions in the Boardroom
- Lesson Plan
- Graphic & Image
- Answer Key
- Join to access all included materials
Urban development and habitat retention are often at odds. A three-part lesson examines the pros and cons of forest clearcutting. Learners review data and characteristics of a specific mammal to make conclusions about the effect clear-cutting has on their animals as well as wildlife conservation in general.
- Have pupils compare their results and make conclusions as a class
- Invite a local environmentalist to speak about how changes in the environment affect local species
- Activity requires a large amount of reading; provide support for individuals with low reading levels
- Includes samples of student work
- Uses real data to make conclusions