Ready to put the fun in functional groups? Introduce your class to this fundamental part of organic chemistry with a short video. The narrator explains the structure and naming system of hydrocarbons, as well as the elements and bonding involved in alcohols, carboxylic acids, and ketones.
- The video makes a great day one introduction to Organic Chemistry, as it explains some of the basics of the science
- Pause the video as directed to allow learners to practice drawing and naming hydrocarbons
- Pupils may need extra time to work alongside the narrator
- The narrator concisely explains how hydrocarbon chains build and how the nomenclature mirrors between alkanes and alkenes
- Animated molecules help viewers see how and where functional groups attach without using molecular modeling kits