This The Birth of the Feature Film instructional video also includes:
A film history video examines how Thomas Edison, George Eastman, and the major film companies formed the Motion Picture Patents company (MPPC) and created a monopoly that controlled the production, distribution, exhibition of films. In addition, the narrator discusses the development of feature-length films and the mixed legacy of D.W. Griffin.
- Show the captions and pause the video frequently so viewers can keep up with the narrator's rapid pace
- Have groups investigate Oscar Micheaux and the Chicago underground film industry
- The episode examines W.D. Griffiths' legacy in a forthright manner
- This video is hosted on YouTube
- Film clips are used to illustrate the techniques examined