This The Birth and Death of Genes instructional video also includes:
Notothenioids are not your average fish—they contain antifreeze! An interesting video introduces the icefish, a scaleless fish with colorless blood that lives in the oceans around Antarctica. It explains how gene duplication and mutations resulted in antifreeze proteins, allowing the fish to live in extremely cold water.
- Collaborate with a history teacher to create a cross-curricular lesson on Antarctica
- If possible, take a trip to a local aquarium to learn about fish
- Some background knowledge on genes and proteins is necessary
- Provides immediate feedback to review questions
- Narration and explanations are thorough and engaging