Combining functions can be as easy as 1 + 1 = 2. Pupils learn to determine the value of f + g, f - g, fg, or f/g for given functions and given input values. They watch a video that shows how to evaluate each function separately using a graphing calculator and then perform the indicated operation.
- Pause the video at appropriate times to have the class try the problems
- Knowledge of evaluating functions for given values is necessary
- Video uses a TI-84 calculator; scholars should be able to use their own calculators to produce a table of values
- Uses different representations of functions
- Thorough explanations are clear and easy to understand