This Telescoping Periscope lesson plan also includes:
Ahoy, matey! Here is an engineering expedition that mini mariners are sure to be swept away by! After reading a brief description and history of periscopes, they work in crews to construct one. Use this activity to enhance a instructional activity on mirrors and reflection, as an enrichment when studying ocean navigation, or simply as intended: an engineering project.
- Detailed teacher's guide includes safety notes for working with younger children
- Handouts contain colorful photographs and diagrams
- Brings history into an engineering lesson
- Addresses Next Generation Science Standards
- Fosters teamwork and creative thinking
- Although it is not the intent of the lesson, use it as an opportunity to teach about light, mirrors, lenses, and reflection