This Teaching Social Studies in English lesson plan also includes:
- Graphic & Image
- Join to access all included materials
Case studies, an examination of images, and readings of passages from the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child are used to spark conversations in ESL/ELD social studies classes about this highly-charged topic. Using a variety of language support strategies, class members are encouraged to express their reactions and formulate plans for how help can be provided.
- Using a website like BBC News, have class members read more about concepts in and violations of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child in their first language, and then have them express their reactions in English
- Although designed for English language learners, the resource would be appropriate for any social studies class
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- The 19-page unit includes a detailed plan, a simplified version of passages from the Rights of the Child document, suggestions for language support, worksheets and graphic organizers