This Tangent Line Approximation: Estimating Square Roots interactive also includes:
Estimating a square root is as easy as evaluating a linear equation. Using the derivative of the square root function, pupils calculate an estimation of square roots. Class members determine the equation of the tangent line at the value they want to estimate and evaluate the tangent line at that point. Learners discuss the limitations of the method.
- Lead a discussion on how to find the equation of the tangent line at a point
- The class should know how to calculate the derivative at a point of the function
- Users must sign up for a free CK-12 account before using the interactive
- Provides the correct answer if users enter the wrong one
- Contains additional examples in the supplemental material