This Take a Stand! lesson plan also includes:
Not all will still be standing by the end! Challenge classes to use engineering principles to design display cases with specific constraints. A hands-on STEM lesson reviews the concepts of tension, compression, and torque before participants create their display cases and then test them for structural soundness.
- Create a challenge to design the display case that holds the most weight
- Vary the types of materials available to add an additional challenge
- Expects a high level of learner independence
- Serves as one part of an expansive SLED Design series
- Emphasizes key scientific vocabulary throughout
- Allows room for differentiation and individual instruction