This Synthesis and Characterization of CdSe Quantum Dots lesson plan also includes:
Does the size of a sample change the physical properties of that substance? It turns out it can! Young scientists combine physics and chemistry to synthesize CdSe quantum dots and record their color properties. Learners should notice a change in color as the size of the dot changes, which has implications for nanotechnology.
- Record important vocabulary in a graphic organizer for quick reference
- Review safety precautions prior to the experiment
- Requires a thorough understanding of spectroscopy
- Emphasizes scientific vocabulary throughout the lesson
- Includes background information necessary for student understanding