Combine geometry and algebra concepts to solve a modeling problem. Young scholars consider the effect surface area has on volume. They write a cubic function to model the possible volume given a specific surface area and then determine the maximum volume.
- Model the scenario with different-sized cubes by measuring the volume of water they hold
- Incorporate graphing calculators or similar technology when modeling the volume graphically
- Requires the ability to calculate volume and surface area of a cube
- The author provides additional tasks with a similar goal
- Combines multiple topics in a single problem