This Survival of the Fittest - Variations in the Clam Species Clamys sweetus lesson plan also includes:
It's not often that you come across a clever laboratory activity that is both imaginative and comprehensive! Using M&M's and Reese's peanut butter candies to represent two different clam species, young biologists test for "relative shell hardness" by crushing them according to a prescribed technique. By thoroughly following the scientific process, learners discover adaptations and population change over time. The resource includes all data tables, record keeping, and follow-up questions.
- Review key terms such as evolution, genetic variation, and survival of the fittest prior to the investigation
- Activity requires a specific set of materials and time for preparation
- Consider allergies before using foods containing peanuts
- Includes a detailed teaching guide offering suggestions for implementing the different parts of the activity
- Provides handouts for pupils to organize and analyze their data