This Sun Protection unit plan also includes:
- Teacher Reference
- Graphic & Image
- Join to access all included materials
Primary graders become sun scientists and conduct experiments to learn about the beneficial and harmful effects of the sun and UV radiation. They also investigate their personal sunburn danger zones and learn about how to protect themselves with sunscreens, hats, sunglasses, and appropriate clothing. To demonstrate their understanding of the concepts learners develop a PSA for sunscreens, make a collage, or craft a travel brochure that includes sun protection tips.
- Have class members create sun protection bags for their backpacks to store their hats, sunglasses, sunscreens, etc.
- Activities are grouped for ages 6–9 and for ages 10–12
- Unit topics include the sun and UV radiation, health risks of UV exposure, and sun safety through sun protection
- A variety of activities are suggested; however, no detailed plans are included
- The 48-page packet includes background information on UV radiation, a section on effective interdisciplinary teaching strategies, information about different types of skin cancer
- Worksheets designed for each activity may be found in the Annex