Subtraction does not work with the commutative property ... or does it? Confronted with a difficult problem, the narrator realizes that by writing the subtractions as adding a negative, he can rearrange the problem. Pupils learn that as long as they use addition to represent subtraction, they can reorder the problem to make the computations easier.
- Provide opportunities for the class to practice several similar problems
- Individuals should know how to add and subtract integers
- Expects students understand the distribution of a negative sign
- Uses a word problem as an example of the concept
- Shows all of the intermediate steps in solving the problem