This Submarines and Aircraft Carriers: The Science of Nuclear Power lesson plan also includes:
- Submarines and Aircraft Carriers: The Science of Nuclear Power
- Lab & Experiment
- Join to access all included materials
As physics masters view this presentation, they learn how nuclear power is used in submarines. They use Google Maps to plot a course through the ocean and calculate the time required for surfacing and traveling. They learn about fission, gamma rays, critical mass, and exponential decay. In a second session, they continue to explore radioactive decay and perform calculations using half life. The direct instruction is followed by an activity demonstrating half life using small candies. This is a neat activity for physics, physical science, or STEM classes.
- Detailed background and clear instructions for the teacher
- Nine additional activities are suggested and links to additional resources are provided
- Images and videos embedded in the presentation are of high quality and interest