This Student Voices unit plan also includes:
Whether it's an election year or not, a unit on voting patterns and political campaigns will awaken the civic pride in your high school citizens. Divided into six parts, the curriculum covers various facets of an election, including media coverage, voter turnout, campaign promises, and evaluating candidates and their claims. The unit culminates with a letter to the newly elected official in which learners address a community issue that needs to be resolved, and a narrative reflective essay.
- Create a cross-curricular assignment between social studies and language arts for the writing assignments
- Prompt future voters to conduct research on their candidate or issue of choice
- The unit is over 100 pages long, including worksheets and templates; use the entire packet, or pick and choose the parts that are the most relevant to your curriculum
- Provides a version of the lesson plan in Spanish
- Comes with links to auxiliary materials