This Stopping Distances activity & project also includes:
In 2016, one in every four fatal car crashes listed speeding as a contributing factor. Pupils view videos of a car trying to come to a quick stop from four different rates of speed. They use context clues to measure and determine the distance each trial takes to completely stop.
- Discuss how people set school zone speed limits and why they vary by state
- Extend the concept by considering the mass of a small car versus a semi trying to stop from the same speed
- Relies on prior knowledge of setting up and solving equations
- Excellent lesson for new drivers
- Connects math and science