How do the laws of physics work in microgravity? Astronaut Mark Vande Hei explores Newton's third law of motion as part of the "STEM on Station" series. Learners then explore Newton's third law further by building rocket racers and racing them on a track. They collect and analyze data to understand how forces applied to objects with similar and different masses change what happens to the objects.
- Flip the classroom by having pupils watch the video and make hypotheses about experiment at home
- Have scholars design an additional experiment to further test Newton's third law
- Requires some materials many teachers likely do not have in the classroom
- Provides a comprehensive handout for learners
- Activity is hands-on and makes connections to real life