Do the laws of physics apply in space? Astronaut Randy Bresnik explores Newton's second law of motion in one part of the "STEM on Station" series. Then, learners explore the same concepts in the classroom by propelling a car weighted with different numbers of pennies. They graph and analyze their results, drawing conclusions based on what they learned from the video and experiment.
- Flip the classroom by having pupils watch the video at home and hypothesize what will happen during experiment
- Have learners design an additional experiment to test Newton's second law of motion
- Requires some materials not found in typical classroom
- Expects participants have safety goggles
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Provides a comprehensive worksheet for learners
- Activity is fun and relevant and has an engaging hook