How do astronauts exercise in microgravity? Astronaut Joe Acaba describes the challenges on the human body and why exercise is important in one installment of the "STEM on Station" series. He shows how astronauts exercise in space and discusses challenges in bone and muscle when living in microgravity. Then, scholars follow up with a hands-on activity to explore how microgravity affects bones and muscles in the classroom.
- Flip the classroom by having pupils watch the video at home and hypothesize about the experiment before coming to class
- Have scholars explore other effects of space on the human body
- Activity can be messy, so have cleaning supplies on hand
- Requires some materials not found in a typical classroom
- Video is engaging and relevant to hook learners' attention
- Provides a comprehensive handout