What makes water icy? Explore a range of theories from patrons at a public skating rink in an interview-style video. The narrator leads participatns through the phase change all the way to the molecular level, where less movement causes liquids to become solids.
- Use the resource as a twist on a basic states of matter lesson
- Challenge the class to come up with other common liquid-solid phase changes
- Test learners' understanding by having them explain how each interviewee's theory is correct or incorrect
- The video exposes a seemingly simple topic that proves to be hard to explain without scientific terms, showing learners that yes, they will use this information after they leave school
- Narrator skillfully questions each patron and redirects them away from misconceptions